Mold in your crawl space or attic is not only bad for your home, but also bad for you. If mold is growing in your home, it can create unhealthy air and affect those with respiratory or immune system problems. Because of this, mold remediation is crucial to the well-being of your family and home. Clean Crawls provides mold remediation services that give you peace of mind for you attic and crawl.™
Once mold has been identified in your home, either by yourself or by a mold removal inspector, our mold remediation services begin. We start by isolating the area and eradicating any airborne mold spores, then move on to treating contaminated materials with commercial grade mold and mildew remover. Any material that cannot be remediated will be removed and discarded. Once the job is done, we thoroughly sweep and vacuum the area free of debris, and finally treat the area with an EPA-registered anti-microbial product.
Why do I need mold remediation services?
Without properly cleaning out mold, especially in crawl space areas, home occupants can suffer from poor air quality indefinitely.
How do I tell if I have a mold problem?
Difficulty breathing, nasal congestion, headaches, coughing, watery eyes….these can all be signs of a mold problem in your home.
If parts of your home have earthy or musty smells, it’s most likely mold. However, it’s important to note that mold can still be present in your home even if you can’t smell it.
Mold thrives in moist environments, so if water has been leaking into your crawl space or attic, mold will begin to grow. Common causes of water leakage are improper ventilation and standing water near the foundation of your home.
If you’ve been suffering from a runny nose, irritated eyes, and itchy throat or other common allergy symptoms, the cause could be mold in your home.
This type of mold inflicts upon organic materials what is commonly known as biodeterioration. Easily growing on leather and cloth, especially in humid conditions, aspergillus mold contributes to the “musty” odor of older couches, armchairs, clothing items, and shoes. Authorities have classified certain species of this mold to be toxigenic, toxic to humans, and pathogenic, able to cause disease. Instantaneous removal of aspergillus infested furniture, items, and materials is imperative.
One particular type of mycotoxin that results from aspergillus mold is commonly known as “aflatoxin.” This especially dangerous mycotoxin is a potent carcinogen, capable of causing cancer in human tissue. In addition to causing cold symptoms and exacerbating asthma, aspergillus mold can infect both humans and animals and potentially grow inside them.
Penicillium mold indoors indicates an abundance of moisture. Most often, these damp places are crawl spaces or attics, which often collect moisture due to poor insulation. The mold is known to easily catch in upward drafts and circulate through the air pockets between floors and contaminate the air quality in the upper levels of the building or house. Also, this mold often grows in carpet, wallpaper, and insulation that has undergone water damage and is located in high moisture atmospheres.
Penicillium molds are considered allergens, affecting skin and bronchioles. In addition to normal cold symptoms, penicillium molds are known to release mycotoxins that cause extrinsic asthma. When symptoms of penicillium mold exposure become more acute, people can suffer from edema or bronchial spasms.
Stachybotrys mold, similar to penicillium mold, grows in wet, damp, or water damaged areas. Even though black mold only grows on wood or paper products, it is still one of the most common types of mold found in homes. Dark brown or black in color, Stachybotrys mold carries with it some of the most detrimental health effects. In addition to the usual allergic reactions people feel when exposed to fungi mycotoxins, black mold can affect people neurologically. Symptoms of exposure to this mycotoxin include confusion, brain fog, dizziness and disorientation, short attention span, memory loss, depression, seizures, numbness, or even shock.
Black mold mycotoxins can also be absorbed through the skin or ingested into the lungs. When these toxic spores find their way into the individual’s bloodstream, they can cause low blood pressure, heart damage, irregular heartbeat, or even hemorrhaging. If you see mold growth in your home that fits the description of black mold, waste no time to address the problem. The consequences of putting it off could be severe.
Take a look at our handy tips and DIY guides.
There are a lot of situations where you may need to hire a pest control company. Common plagues like mice, rats, stinging insects, spiders, roaches and even bats can cause damage to your home and health, and often require professional treatment. Whether you are a homeowner or a real estate agent, picking the right pest control company can be tricky. There are so many to choose from, and they all claim to be the best. So, what’s the secret to picking the right one?Read on...
With the cooler weather of fall and winter quickly approaching, many homeowners are beginning to think about keeping their home warm during the cold months. In the damp, chilly environment we have here in the Pacific Northwest, this is especially important. But, despite turning up heaters and setting fireplaces to blaze, many people will stillRead on...
Now that fall is upon us here in the Pacific Northwest, it is also the season for pests of all kinds to invade your home. Don’t be surprised to see an increase of spiders appearing in and around your residence, and be aware that rats are not far behind. While all pests are a nuisance,Read on...